Made a heck of a trade today!

Today, I made a pretty sweet deal. A couple weeks ago, I met a guy at the local boat landing and we got to talking. He was telling me that he was having problems finding a spinning rod as heavy as he wanted. I told him that I was a rod builder and could probably help him out.

He said he was a catfisherman and wanted a 7' spinning rod that was STIFF for big catfish and gator gar. I told him about a rod I had built for muskie fishing and actually used a musky rod blank. He asked if I'd consider a trade for the rod. Well, of course I'm always up for a good trade, and I wasn't using the rod anyway, so we started talking about what he had.

I wasn't too interested until he told me that he had access to Hi-Point pistols. Well, I perked right up then, because I had been thinking about getting a 9mm for my wife. I live in a good area, and I'm not worried about leaving her while I go on the road, but I sure would feel better if she had a nice little defense gun. I agreed that I'd consider a trade for a Hi-Point 9mm. I gave him my card and told him to give me a call when he had something to trade.

This was several weeks ago and I didn't think I'd ever hear from him again when my phone rang. It was Jake with the pistol! He said he couldn't get 9mm, but he had a Hi-Point chambered in .40 S & W that he wanted to trade.

I met him and showed him the rod. He played with it a little bit, I showed him how much backbone the rod actually had and he was sold. At that point, he brought out a new, in the box pistol. I checked it over and it had never been fired!

I told him that he was holding a $225.00 rod and I was holding a $150 - $160 pistol (yes, I do my homework) and if he wanted to seal the deal, he had to throw in a box of ammo. I now have a .40 S & W Hi-Point!

I got it home, cleaned it up and loaded the magazine. Taking it into the backyard, I lined up on a small tree partway up a hillside with a nice backstop, about twenty yards away. I have to say that this is a pretty nice, albeit ugly pistol. The trigger pull is reasonable and the gun goes BANG every time I pull the trigger. Even more impressive is the fact that I hit a four inch tree five out of ten shots! With 155 grain bullets, the recoil was very mild and muzzle jump was not bad at all. I think the grips are a little slick and might see if someone makes a "sticky grip", but other than that, I'm impressed with this handgun.

I hope Jake likes his new rod as much as I like the new pistol. Now I have to get Janet familiarized with the gun before my next trip.

Steve