Mercury 2.5 liter 150 xr6 (1995)

mofireman

Hi All,

I've done some research but wanted to see if there is anything with this outboard that the fine folks here may know about. I'm coming from a 1983 Johnson motor, so I'm new to the Mercury line, so to speak. Any major problems with these outboards or are they known to be strong?

My Dad's '83 Johnson 150 has always seemed to be cold blooded, and it seems as though we have to put her in the shop every year for something. For some reason, Dad seems convinced that pre-mixing the gas/oil all these years somehow had something to do with the less-than-stellar performance out of the outboard?!? Fact of the matter is, he has never winterized his boat, it's always kept outdoors year-round, and as far as I know, he never even drains the fuel tank/lines at the end of the season. I believe that to be his problem. Nonetheless, he wants the next boat to be oil injected or whatever, in order to keep from premixing the oil/gas with every fill up.

I'm looking at a nice 2000 Cobra Viper with the Mercury 150 xr6 on it, but the seller says he premixes his fuel/oil also. This has Dad up at arms on buying this boat because he believes that he wants a 4-stroke!! Can anyone comment on the 2-stroke/4-stroke argument as it might pertain to this Cobra. 'd really like to put this issue to rest with Dad, and not lose out on what appears to be a nice boat.

Thanks for listening!