New Wisconsin Record Whitetail

On September 20, 2009, in Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin, bowhunter Wayne Schumacher heard the sound of a twig cracking underneath his treestand. Looking down, Wayne could see part of a buck’s rack and knew it was no ordinary deer!

For a few tense moments, the giant buck tested the wind and finding nothing, proceeded to head for a nearby food plot. At 15 yards, the buck paused, quartering away. Wayne (trying desperately to ignore the antlers), drew, anchored and sent the arrow on its way. Confident the shot was good, he watched the buck bolt away, looking “like a moose running through the grass.”

At 70 yards, the buck stopped, his head dropped, his knees buckled and the buck sagged to the ground. At that point, Schumacher stated, “I must have been holding my breath, because all of a sudden I felt lightheaded, like I was going to faint.”
New Wisconsin Record Whitetail

After regaining his composure, he gathered his equipment, got down from the tree and went to find his hunting partner, his brother Pete.

After the required 60 day drying period, the non-typical antlers were officially scored at 243 6/8, making “The Schumacher Buck” the largest non-typical whitetail deer shot with a bow in Wisconsin history, beating out the buck taken last year by Bob Decker of Eau Claire and his 16-pointer, officially measured at 233 2/8 inches.