One Of a Kind Transom Saver

S

Skeeter1

There's probably been several hundred posts made regarding what is the best Transom Saver, here and on other bass boat discussion forums. In fact, there's several different types, brands, and manufacturers that claim to have the best on the market, or the best to save the transom on a boat. There's the old single arm type that fits over the trailer roller at the rear, and some that mount in different forms, and there's the Lock-N-Stow type. Back in late 1970's when I had own a Skeeter Wrangler bass boat, I had the old type that fit over the trailer roller, and in 1983 my new Skeeter Starfire, I decided to design my own version of a "special" transom saver. I had a machine shop to make a proto-type from my design creation that fit within the trailer roller. The transom saver work very well and seem to take the "bounce" out of the engine weight and transom flex that can cause a lot of damage to a transom. I had four made, and filed the necessary papers with the U.S Patent and trademark Office. In April 1984 I got the design and trademark OKed for patent pending. The name (trademark) is Spring-Tote Motor Toter.

There photo's below shows this Motor-Toter of my design of the transom saver.

I made one for my older brother's Ranger/Mercury, one for my son who owns a Bass/Walleye rig, and one for my fishing partner. I also have one of my latest Skeeter/Yamaha bass bass rig. The photo is the original proto-type unit.

OPERATION:

The one piece part attachés to the trailer roller...replacing the trailer's original roller shaft with my part. This unit stays with the trailer when launching the boat. There's a spring that attached to the trailer that pulls the part that is attached to the trailer, down and out of the way when not in use. The upper unit is the part that removes when launching the boat...just as you would do with all the other transom savers. There's two springs as in photo shows what happens when the engine is trimmed down to make contact with the lower unit ...rubber wedge (V) and with a safety bungee to hold it against the front of the lower unit. To compress the two springs requires about 60 lbs. of weight, eliminating any easy bounce of the engine. I've used this unit on my rig without any trouble the past 25 years, as all the others who has this Spring-Tote transom saver.

Word of advise. Don't go calling one of your favorite marine people and have them to make one. One of two lawyers may become active. However, if there's some demand for this item, I might consider having some made.

Last edited by a moderator: