Re-power? or?

badbrad

Hey guys, I posted this on the new member page, but realized it might be better served here. Obviously I'm new to the site and have begun researching the idea of re-powering my current boat vs. purchasing a new "used" boat. Just wonder what suggestions some of you may have.

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1>
<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Here is a picture of my rig. Best part about her is she is paid for so I'm not ball and chained to a monthly payment. Problem is, my motor with it's age, is becoming unreliable. Guess a lot would suggest that's just owning a boat, but the past two years I've put a lot of money into the motor to keep it running. Last year, it was power pack and carburetor issues. This year, lost my reverse gear and found that my clutch dog was bad.

Now when the motor is running, it runs great! I can top out around 62MPH in the boat by myself with gear. That being said, I've lost a lot of confidence in it. I worry I might be on the east shore of Kentucky Lake some time when the wind really picks up and my motor leaves me stranded.

I've considered re-powering since I've got the boat set up perfectly for the many types of fishing I do. Structurely the boat is in good shape, transom is still solid. I'd probably look at putting a 150 Mercury Opti-max on it. Would expect my savings on fuel alone would be beneficial. I'm saving money right now and hope to pay for half of the motor with cash and finance the rest, with plans of getting it paid off as soon as possible.

As much as I like my boat, I would love to have a new one!!! but buying a new boat obviously would mean finanacing quite a bit more money. I would have trouble justifying making a boat payment for the next 7 years or so when I could probably have the motor paid off in two.

So long story short.......sorry for going on for so long...I"m not really sure whether I should take the saved money, and my boat and apply it towards the p
urchase of a new one or just repower.