why it's important to rotate your tires

TransAm

Here a few reasons why it is important to rotate you tires.

Tread wear

Tires wear differently on different vehicles.They also wear different on different locations on the same vehicle.On rear wheel drive vehicles the rear tires tread will wear down quicker than the front tires will.The front tires if not rotated properly will develop what is known as cupping.That is when the front of the lug wheres down and the rear doesn't.It will wear diagonally across the tire.Eventually it will start making a roaring sound like a big mud tire.There are two things that will correct this.One I already discussed (air pressure),the other is rotating your tires.Depending on how your vehicle wears it's tires you should rotate every 3-7000 miles.When you rotate your tires on a rear wheel drive you need to cross the front tires and move to the rear and just move the rear tires straight forward.If you rotate as much as you should this will fix the cupping that develops on the non-drive tires.

On a duel rear wheel truck it is basically the same except that you will only use the inside tires on the rear to do the rotation.If you develop some cupping in the outside rear tires then simply switch sides but leave on the rear of the truck.the reason for this is that the inside tire will wear it's tread down faster then the outside tire.

Life of the tire

If you rotate properly,you can gain as much as 25% more miles out of your tires.Just to give an example,my company bought three 06 F350's about 4 years ago and all 3 are the same trucks.My truck is the heaviest out of the three.I change my own oil and rotate my tires every oil change and I got 55,000 miles out of the original tires ,the other two got 30,000 and 28,000 with no rotation.So if you figure the #'s that's just under 50%more miles.

Being able to check things

When you rotate then you will have your wheels off.This is a great time to check for problems that might be about to happen before they happen.
I have never had to buy a brake rotor because the pad had worn down and cut grooves.It makes it easier to check these now and also steering parts and drive line parts.
Have you ever been on the side of the road trying to get a wheel off that has been on there for 30,000 miles.Sometimes you are breaking studs off.This will help that problem also.

So the next time you go to your truck,just take a walk around and feel, not just look,feel your tires.When facing the vehicle take your hand that is closest to the front and run over the top of the tire from front to rear.Then do it from rear to front.You will feel the difference.

Happy towing