Mercury EFI has fuel in oil reserve tank

JBear

I have a 1993 Mercury 175 EFI Xri. Recently I got a low oil warning beep, beep, beep. after I started the motor. Checked the oil tank in the bilge, and it was almost full. So I checked the reserve tank on top of the power head. It too was full, but there was gasoline mixed with the oil. I don't think that is normal. I believe it should only be oil as it feeds the oil pump on the motor where the fuel is mixed with the oil from the tank. I checked the check valve going into the vapor separator, it appears to be working okay, but I cleaned it anyway.

I found that the cap sensor on the reserve tank was bad and replaced it, and the low oil warning has stopped, but I'm still getting fuel in the reserve tank.

Anyone ever experience this?

And, would it be okay to run the motor now that the low oil sensor has been replaced? I don't know how long there has been fuel getting into the reserve tank, since I haven't had the need to check the reserve tank for at least a couple of years, I've probably been running it that way for awhile.